Cummins Inc. Metal Plate Test Engineer in Mississauga, Ontario
Metal Plate Test Engineer
We are looking for a talented Metal Plate Test Engineer to join our team specializing in sales for our #NewPower Business Unit in Mississauga, Ontario.
This applied science position applies chemical principles that create and develop product functionalities which are integrated and sold into Cummins’ products. The position involves the research, design, analysis, testing and failure analysis of chemical based products, including catalyts, substrates, sensors, batteries and fuel cells.
Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over an entry level engineer and with greater accountability to the project team.
Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or interns.
Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
Chemical or Electrochemical Performance Testing - Designs tests measuring chemical transformation of species, selectivity, electric yield, response to chemical and physical environments in order to determine performance, durability, or state of health of chemically or electrochemically active components; examines and interprets test data using analysis methods to draw conclusions that influence hardware and controls design decisions and to provide information for computational tools development.
Characterization of Chemical Systems - Designs and conducts tests of physicochemical properties, for example morphology, acid-base and redox properties, diffusion characteristics, impedance behaviors, solubility, and chemical poisoning, in order to aid in diagnostics and prediction of performance and health of chemically active components.
Accelerated Aging Testing and Analysis - Designs and constructs laboratory equipment to simulate various aging exposures relevant to practical applications of active chemical components, including thermal cycling, chemical poisoning, and physical masking.
Simulation of Chemical Systems - Determines chemical or electrochemical performance of chemically active components and systems via numerical modeling; estimates conversion, selectivity, electrical yield, resistance, and state of health via numerical computations to evaluate and guide hardware and controls design decisions.
Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Self-development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Product Verification and Validation Management - Develops product systems validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes, while managing product risk and relative priority; negotiates product requirements against capability to guide project scope; evaluates analytical, simulation and physical test results to verify product capability and validate requirements; assesses legacy versus proposed system solution capabilities and produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
- Prior entry level engineering equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred
- University Degree or above in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Materials Science.
Job Description Highlights:
- Perform design validation and functional testing on fuel cell stack and stack subcomponents.
- Build short stacks for R&D electrochemical and non-functional testing. Use and read measuring equipment as required (leak testers, multimeters, etc.)
- Provide continuing support of existing stack platform in terms of design improvement and validation, performance testing, data processing and reporting, failure root cause investigation, post-mortem analysis.
- Operate test stations (single cell, short stack) and other process operations. Report test equipment issues and work with maintenance to resolve.
Must-Have Skills and Experiences:
- 2-4 years of industrial working experience in operating and maintaining of electro/mechanical machines.
- Experience in research and development, or product development in electrochemical engineering, battery system testing, or fuel cell testing is preferred.
- Strong hands-on attitude and skills a must.
- Knowledge of electrochemical engineering and fundamentals is considered as an asset.
- Knowledge of mechanical CAD software, LabView, and simulation software is considered as an asset.
- Be able to process data by using MS Excel and/or other data processing application.
- Basic knowledge of programming for data processing, for example but not limited to C, C++, Matlab, Python etc.
- Comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity in a fast-paced and innovative working environment.
- Capable of working in a proactive manner with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented and be able to produce high quality work.
At Cummins, we are committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and we strive to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
The successful candidate will go through pre-employment background check process consists of a Criminal Background Check which includes a criminal background check as well as an education and work experience check. Specific Tickets / Licenses are checked as required, and Drivers Abstracts are required for any position where driving is part of the job.
Primary Location Canada-Ontario-Mississauga-Canada, ON, Mississauga, Hydrogenics Superior
Job Type Experienced - Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt - Experienced
Job Posting Jun 9, 2022, 8:22:27 AM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Organization New Power Business
Req ID: 2200046F